Pages

Sunday, March 6, 2011

I cracked

I lasted 10 days and I totally cracked.  I'm a wuss, I know, I know.  But c'mon, no dairy? That's crazy talk.  No meat I can do all day long.  But no cheese? No milk? No yogurt? And really the most important food group.  No milk chocolate?  But all is not lost.  There are some important things that I've learned.

It IS possible to eat less meat.
There are really great protein substitutes out there.  Seitan is decent, and in a stir fry hardly detectable.  My favorite however, is tofu.  So many uses from sweet to savory.  I do make a good spinach artichoke dip with tofu and yogurt as opposed to loads of mayo and/or sour cream.  That is another blog post I suppose.  But there are other way to fill up your plate besides meat.  And really, meat shouldn't always be the main attraction anyway.

Eat more fruits and vegetables
This is sort of a no brainer but by eliminating or cutting back on meat that leaves more room on your plate for produce.  You know, all the stuff with antioxidants and vitamins and everything that serves functions from cancer prevention to basic biochemical maintenance.  Oh and generally it is cheaper than meat.

Vegans are crazy and/or deprived and/or extremely dedicated
I love cheese and chocolate.  Not fake carob wannabe chocolate but real, preferably milk, chocolate.  I'm not knocking vegans, they have my total respect and admiration.  And sympathy.




So what's next?  Just good old healthy(ier) cooking and with real foods. Stay tuned.













No comments:

Post a Comment