Pages

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day 4 or Hail Seitan!

Feeling pretty good today.  I've had a decent amount of energy, enough to get a half hour on the treadmill even, and I'm proud to say I had my first filling meal in 4 days! All due to seitan.  It's a wheat protein that's cooked and is supposed to be a meat substitute.  It's got a good amount of protein, around 20 grams per serving or so.  That is the only way it will ever be a meat substitute.  It certainly doesn't taste like, or is even reminiscent of, meat.  But thrown in a stir fry where you are adding sauces or seasonings anyway it's not bad.  The particular kind I had tonight was "chicken" style.  I'm still trying to figure out what that means.  I guess everything tastes like chicken.  Including wheat protein.


Food


Breakfast
Leftover whole wheat pancakes w/ blueberries
Coffee w/ soy creamer

Snack
Apple
Dried fruit and nut mix


Lunch
Leftover bean PATTY!
Leftover sweet potato fries


Snack
Leftover cherry and banana smoothie


Supper



Bulgur fried "rice".  This is an assortment of sauteed veggies and seitan with bulgur.  I highly recommend subbing your rice for bulgur.  It's not that much of a taste difference and it packs a more powerful nutritional punch.  We also love Bragg's Liquid Amino Acids instead of soy sauce.  There's less salt and a little milder flavor.  I actually prefer it to soy sauce.  A very satisfying meal all in all.  Did I mention that the husband made this (albeit his had the addition of steak and egg)? God bless him for putting up with my crunchiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment